10 – 17 March 2018
It is often overlooked just how many ‘ingredients’ go into making an exceptional photobook, one that you can become immersed in, touched by, moved and inspired by. It’s been a dream of mine for quite some time to invite a few photographers to my home in the forest of Western Australia and share my experience and passion for all things photobook.
Together, we’ll go down the rabbit hole and take an in-depth look into the process of planning, making and promoting a photobook.
Some of what we will cover:
- Introduction to the world of photobooks – we will explore a wide range of great photobooks and discuss WHY and HOW they work
- The value of making book dummies and why they are essential to the process of arriving at a mature book (with numerous examples)
- Presentation /Q&A with my collaborator & publisher Eva Maria Kunz from Ceiba Editions.
- The power and the poetry of sequencing
- Case Study: The making of The Middle of Somewhere deconstructed; concept & design, creating a cover, choosing the right paper, proofs and printing, binding, inserts & gatefolds, hand made elements, graphics & typography, layout, size, editing & sequencing
- Why weight and size matter
- Look at your work as a group and discuss; I will offer advice and suggestions – group brainstorm
- One-on-one sessions – I’ll assist you to edit your past or current work and help you in moving forward
- Reflection on and development of your book concept
- Creating a tester / basic book dummy
- Learning to listen to your authentic voice and why it’s your most valuable asset
- Day trip to the coast, BBQs & Sundowners…
- Evening photography movies & slideshows projected outdoors, under the stars
While most workshops run on an intense schedule, which can become overwhelming, it’s my intention to factor in downtime to reflect, percolate ideas, time for informal but equally creative discussions, walks in the forest, pour over photobooks from my library or simply hang by the dam with a cold beer and take in the beautiful surroundings… making this more of a creative retreat than a traditional workshop.
This 7 days (8 nights) retreat is limited to only 4 photographers. A portfolio submission is required along with a Skype interview.
DATES: start 10th March 2018, 5pm. Checkout 18th March by 11am.
LOCATION: Balingup, Western Australia, 6253
FEE: AUD $1800 (approx US $1400) – includes: 8 nights accommodation, 7 days and most meals
For further details please email Yael: email@example.com
or fill in the form below:
(click comment button)